South African female celebrities are doing this ownership in brands better than the guys.
Over a week ago I wrote and published an article commending DJ Zinhle on her acquisition of shares in Boulevard Nectar Rosé, and, analysed it per the ‘Convenience Metrical Interest/Advantage’ method. Here is the article, https://buff.ly/3mnoa6d.
Now, just last week, House of BNG – which is founded and owned by Bonang Matheba – released 250ML canned nectar wines (rosé and blanc flavours).
This is in addition to their 750ML Mcc sparkling wines which they launched with. They also have a Prestige Reserve which came post the launch flavours.
Just like in Zinhle article, I will give an analysis per the ‘Convenience Metrical Interest/Advantage’ method which I first introduced in the Township Biz Adjacent book.
Definitions first: Convenience Metrical Interest/Advantage.
- In the Township Biz Adjacent book, I define a product with a Spaza Metrical Interest or Advantage, as a product that is more often a B2C (Business to Consumer) and FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) product than a B2B (Business to Business) product – and one that has an advantage over other products in that it has more than one demographic, as well as intervallic interests and uses.
Recap for convenience and understanding
- In Zinhle’s article, I said liquor is a good product choice because 9/10 people in front of you drink it and maybe even 10/10 women in front of you drink wine.
- Therefore liquor has repeating customers, weekly to monthly (if not daily as a few do).
- And thus it is weekly money (sales)
- So her customers are plenty.
- A liquor brand has one recipe that is produced over and over again as long as there is demand.
- It’s unlike clothing brands as they require several new designs every three or so months.
- All in all, they will be generating sales daily, with a product that they don’t change. It is plug, play, and repeat onwards.
Business Class: why canned wines are a killer move by Bonang’s House of BNG:
- The analysis above applies even to House of BNG’s canned wines.
- The cans retail at R199 for a pack of 4 (250ML each per can).
- It’s 250 X 4 and gives 1000ML.
- Thus the pack has more content, i.e. 250ML more liquor than with the 750ML Mcc.
- The Mcc bottle retails for R399 at Woolworths and around this price everywhere generally.
- In Rands, the cans are cheaper.
- And it is at about half the price (R199 versus R399).
- At this price still, it keeps the premium status, but it is affordable to more people than the 750ML Mcc bottle.
- It thus attracts more people than the 750ML does.
- The cans are still exclusively available at Woolworths.
- When they hit the mass market, they should be available in most stores across the country, than the 750ML Mcc, and even taverns.
- Typically, 750ML wine bottles are not available in all alcohol stores, especially in townships and rural areas (this is where the majority of people are).
- House of BNG is targeting the cider market like Ice Tropez 275ML does (which also is wine).
- Ciders have more people consuming them than 750ML sparkling wines, and this is why they are available in all alcohol outlets.
- This means more money.
- In comparison, one can of BNG 250ML canned wine should retail at R50+, like Ice Tropez 275ML (also retails at R50+ per can). Ice Tropez is available everywhere, even in taverns.
Well, there is no need to mention the presenter’s accolades (come radio personality, businesswoman, producer, model, philanthropist, etc).
She’s made millions for many brands and products she’s worked with.
Her social media following stands as follows:
- Twitter, 4.4 million
- Instagram, 4.4 million
- Facebook, 1.2 million
To further illustrate how ‘Convenience Metrical Interest’ works, let’s compare roll-on deodorant with a book
- Roll-on is different from a book in that its use and purchase is intervallic and repetitive.
- Whereas a book is bought once, read, possibly read again and then shelved when done with it, or maybe even given away.
- Chances are rare that you will buy that same book again, and you will definitely not buy it monthly like you would a roll-on.
- It is with these advantages shown regarding roll-on, that I say it has better metrical interests or advantages than a book.
Liquor also has high Convenience Metrical Interest or Advantage.
To learn more about ‘Convenience Metrical Interest’ of products, get a copy of Township Biz Adjacent (available in all bookstores nationwide)
Township Biz Adjacent book available nationwide at Exclusive Books, Bargain Books, Takealot.com, Protea Books and Loot.co.za.
Find more info on the books here www.tiisetsomaloma.com/books.
Here is a free book from me to you (click the link to get it): HOW TO START A BUSINESS SIMPLE & EASY http://tiisetsomaloma.com/businesseasy.